By Marian Porter, Broker Associate
Are you considering buying a new home?
Consider these tips for buying a home will give you a kick-start:
Know What You Need Before You Start.
- How many bedrooms and bathrooms do you need?
- What is the minimum square footage you need?
- How is the location in proximity to your work?
- Do you need to be in a specific school system?
- List your “would be nice” items such as a bigger garage, media room, etc.
- Drive neighborhoods to determine areas you like.
Things to do:
- Check your credit. (See 6 Tips to Boost Credit Score)
- Contact a Real Estate Agent.
- Contact a Mortgage professional to determine how much you can afford. (See mortgage payment calculator)
- Stay within your budget — Because you can!
New Construction or Existing Market?
When searching for a home, one of the main things to consider is whether to buy New Construction or an Existing Market.
My philosophy with New vs. Existing is this:
- Can you get a new construction for the same price in the same area you are looking?
- If you can, you should consider new construction for the following reasons:
- Energy Features – every day there are new energy features that will save you MONEY. Some examples are a radiant barrier and vinyl windows.
- Upgrades – Every month, it seems, there is a new upgrade that is the “must-have”. Stainless Steel Appliances, rounded sheetrock corners, etc. If you don’t have them, it will hurt resale.
- Room configuration – A media room and a study are now “must-haves”. A home ten years old won’t have this.
- Other Benefits – You get to pick your own colors, make modifications, choose a builder reputation, and the home comes with a warranty.
Buying a home is a huge investment, financially and emotionally. You need the right real estate broker to help you with your next move. Contact me and let’s find out if we’re a “fit” for each other.
Marian Porter, Broker Associate
About Marian Porter
Marian Porter, a Broker Associate, has been with North Point Realty since 2002. More than 90% of her business is from repeat and referral clients. Marian is very knowledgeable about the new construction process and she is comfortable with all price ranges.